Tapioca pearls porridge made with milk, chia seeds and palm sugar makes a tasty breakfast for toddlers and kids who need the high carbohydrate content.
Tapioca pearls are made from the cassava root and are majorly starch so it’s not a great food option for people conscious about their diets. However, for kids who need all that energy and adults who have a hardworking day ahead, this porridge can be a filling breakfast.It would also make a quick and great dessert. The chia seeds are an attempt to add a hint of healthy to the dish😂.
While the tapioca pearls are considered to provide a cooling effect on the body, addition of caraway/ carom seeds powder is supposed to balance that by providing a heating effect (all heard from my mom so it’s traditional know-how😁, will have to research on that one).
Tapioca pearls and Chia porridgePrint This
- Tapioca pearls - 1/4 cup
- Milk (dairy or almond)- 1/2 cup
- Water- 1 1/2 cups
- Chia seeds- 1 tbsp
- Palm sugar / coconut sugar- 1-2 tbsp
- Caraway/ carom/ ajwain powder- 1/4 tsp
- Wash the tapioca pearls and soak in water for 10minutes. Soak the chia seeds with 4 tbsp of water.
- Place the tapioca pearls with water in a heavy-bottomed pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook covered for 10minutes.
- Once the pearls have become translucent add the milk and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the palm/ coconut sugar.
- Mix in the soaked chia seeds.
- Add the caraway seeds powder and stir well.